Tuesday, 27 January 2015
Natalia, Omar, James and Krusal speaking to the audience at J2J preview of 'Selma' - and the auditorium filling up. (photos: Aziz Rahman)
Selma: the real events
The other speakers: Carrie Supple, Chi Onwurah MP, Lord Herman Ouseley, Baroness Helena Kennedy.(photos: Aziz Rahman)
For a video of the speeches go here. The students start at 03.23.
Selma: the real events
Selma the movie: official trailer
John Legend & Common: Glory
What is the House of Lords?
Tuesday, 20 January 2015
To find out more about the Home Sweet Home campaign click on the images below:
For information about the Focus 15 mothers click on the photos below.
And here is the footage of the E15 mums invading Newham Council offices:
TASK 3: Helping organise the SELMA showing:
1. Speak to the audience about the project: what you've learnt, how you feel about it and why people should support Journey to Justice.
2. Welcome people as they arrive.
3. Look after the special guests.
4. Show people to their seats.
5. Give out leaflets.
6. Collect names and contact details.
Tuesday, 13 January 2015
Week 2: Songs of Protest
1. Find a song of protest that you like. Next week bring the song and the lyrics and explain to us why it is important to you. You can choose one of the songs linked below if you like.
2. Write your own song lyric about something you care about.
Hugh Masekela: Stimela - South Africa (Coal Train)
Victor Jara: Manifiesto - Chile (I don't sing for love of singing but because my guitar has meaning)
El General: Rayes Le Bled -Tunisia (with English subtitles)
Emmanuel Jal: We Want Peace - South Sudan
Collectif Africa Stop Ebola: Africa Stop Ebola - (with English subtitles)
Monday, 5 January 2015
Week 1: young people in action for change.
You have been given a story. Next Wednesday your group must present that story to everyone so that we understand
- what problem they were facing
- what action they took
- if it succeeded and why
- how important you think their action was and why
Everyone in your group must speak for a length of time.
ALLOWED: posters, artwork, video clips, slides, music etc
NOT ALLOWED: reading from a sheet, poster or website. Speak naturally!
Links if you want to do more research (click on the images):
Burston School strike